Genealogy Friday: What documentation do I need to join a genealogical society?

Last week, I discussed five reasons to join a genealogical society.

However, it’s not as simple as just paying the dues and signing up for many lineage societies such as the DAR, Mayflower Society, Daughters/Sons of Union/Confederate Veterans, Jamestown Society, etc.

So, if I want to join a lineage society what do I need to provide?

Most lineage societies require your family tree with accompanying documentation to that time period {Civil War, Revolutionary War, Mayflower, etc.}

If you are new to research this will take some time and you may want to seek the help of a more experienced researcher.  If you are an old pro to genealogical research, this should be a no brainer.

So, what are some documents the societies will accept?

  1. Birth and Death Certificate
  2. Marriage {and Divorce} Records
  3. Wills and Probate Records
  4. Federal Census Records {this is usually for earlier time periods before vital records were in existence}
  5. Family Bibles
  6. Land and Property Records
  7. Church Records and Cemetery Records
  8. County and Town Histories
  9. Pension Application Files
  10. Other applications that prove relationships {the DAR has a Patriot Database and the first five generations for the Mayflower are published in books. For other societies, check with your local chapter.}   Please note that you will have to provide documentation from the point your line veers off from that in the application.

Also, don’t forget to check your local and state archives for records and information.

What records have you checked to join a lineage society?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.